Tuesday, November 11, 2014

A Day for Remembering

Veteran's day is a day for remembering. I think a lot about my Granddad who fought in World War II. I think about my Grandpa Averett who served in the Navy. I think about the family I married in to. Many of them, including my father and brother-in-law, have served in the military. What a blessing to have a rich heritage. I'm so thankful to them, and so many others who have served our country. What a blessing to live in The United States of America.

For my family, today is not just a day to remember our veterans. It is a day to remember my sweet niece, Ethne. Today would be Ethne's 5th birthday. When she was two years old, Ethne returned to live with a loving Heavenly Father. And today, instead of celebrating with her, we celebrate by remembering her.

My sister-in-law and brother have an amazing blog (I would highly recommend checking it out; this is a link to the challenge she posted: http://prayersforthefamily.blogspot.com/2014/11/ethnes-5th.html). Last week my sister-in-law issued a challenge to do 5 acts of service to remember Ethne on her 5th birthday. And that is just what I did! Now I want to share them with you; not to brag, but to show you how easy it is to love and serve others.

The first thing my family did was feed a set of missionaries from our church. These young men have given two years of their lives to serve the Lord. To help them with that, we try to feed them about once a week. What a blessing it is to have such a spiritual feast in our home every week!!! I think they bless us way more than we bless them.


The next act of service was giving a garbage bag of clothes away. It doesn't get any easier than that! I had so many boys clothes that I took what I needed from the hand-me-downs I got from family and friends. The left overs have sat in my closet for over a month now. So, with a push from my sister, I gave them away. It was easy and the family that took them couldn't be more grateful!

The third act of service was so fun I didn't feel like I was taking time away from anything more important. I volunteered in Z's preschool. I read the same book 9 times to all the kids in his school, and had a blast doing it. The book was called Roar of a Snore. Of course, talking to 3 and 4 year old kids about snoring was about as entertaining as it comes! I got to hear all about dads, brothers, and even a dog that snores.

Act number four was not something I had planned to do. This is an example of how just being a friend is an act of service. I went to pick up something from a friend today and could tell she was feeling a little down. I asked her what I could do for her. She said all she needed was a hug. So that's what a did. Of all the acts I did this week, this was the sweetest, and most simple of all. It also reminded me so much of my niece. She was always willing to hand out a hug, even if you could tell she wasn't in the mood. She never turned me down. So today, that hug was for my friend, but it was also for Ethne.

My final act of service was an opportunity that fell in my lap! I was on a Facebook yard sale page posting pictures of some hats I had made, hoping to make a little money for Christmas, when I came across a post asking for free/cheap toys to donate to the Children's Hospital NICU in Columbus, OH. I have kids, so I have toys! Way more toys than we could ever need. So I took S and we went through the toys and books and sent several to these kids who will be spending their Christmas in the hospital.

Even though Ethne isn't physically with us now, I know that she would be so happy to see the acts that so many people have done to remember her this past week. And I issue the challenge to you. Even if you didn't have the blessing of knowing my niece, I challenge you to look around. Open your eyes to the opportunities to serve. They will fall in your lap and you will be blessed. Then share your experience and inspire someone else.

No comments: